Connect with us

MTA News

No light at the end of the tunnel for MTA, comptroller finds

Published

on

subway action plan

The subways are bad—and Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Joseph Lhota’s $836 million “Subway Action Plan” isn’t making them much better.

That was just one of many bleak conclusions state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli reached in his annual report on the MTA, released Thursday morning. The chief fiscal officer said the agency faces nine-figure annual budget shortfalls that will hit $634 million by 2022, even if the authority goes through with plans to jack up fares and bridge and tunnel tolls, and assuming that the local economy continues to grow at its current brisk pace.

The deficits largely stem from swelling health insurance costs and debt service to pay off the bonds that financed the 2014-2019 capital plan. Past capital plans have run long and been underfunded—the MTA is still trying to complete projects in the 2005-2009 program—and the comptroller voiced doubts that the state entity is capable of executing the next five-year plan, let alone the 10-year, $40 billion Fast Forward proposal to fully modernize the city’s trains and buses.

Quality of service has spiraled downward and utilization has shrunk even as the city’s population and job market have blossomed.

“Our regional transit system is in crisis,” DiNapoli said. “Despite an infusion of $836 million in state and city funds, there has been little improvement so far in subway service. Riders are leaving the system in frustration and deserve better.”

MTA officials have said the action plan stabilized the system, preventing further declines in on-time performance.

With only three months remaining in the year-and-a-half-long action plan, DiNapoli discovered that the MTA has allocated just 58% of the money it obtained from the state and city and from a new excise on for-hire vehicles. Roughly 40% of what it spent on what Lhota deemed “emergency” repairs went toward overtime for existing employees, while outside contractors gobbled up 28%. Just 12% of the money got spent hiring new staff, which can be difficult to do on short notice in a tight labor market.

Not one cent has gone toward replacing the transit network’s notoriously antiquated signaling system or its uneven and corroded rails. Despite the $836 million infusion, and $20 million from the new vehicle levies, DiNapoli determined service has improved only “marginally.” Fewer than two-thirds of trains arrived on time on weekdays in 2017, and nearly 30% of subway cars are more than three decades old.

The report lacks even a glimmer of hope. It notes that the MTA is counting on $300 million in unspecified savings to balance its books, and that planned projects like the Second Avenue subway rely on uncertain federal support. Meanwhile, negotiations with the Transport Workers Union—closely allied with Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who appointed Lhota and controls the MTA—loom next year, meaning employee costs may only bloat further.

The comptroller acknowledges that “the MTA is asking the state to authorize new sources of revenue,” an allusion to Cuomo’s calls to enact congestion pricing, which would charge autos for entering the Manhattan business district. But he refers to that controversial proposal’s prospects as “not assured.” And continued feuding between the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio over how to fund capital improvements only worsens the authority’s credit and delays progress.

The MTA referred Crain’s to its internal findings of the Subway Action Plan’s salutary effect on service, and pointed to the hiring of Andy Byford to lead its New York City Transit division. It also maintained it was on track to get its finances in order, though failed to provide much detail on its plans.

“We know these issues and the struggles riders are facing well—it’s why the MTA has new leadership, dramatic modernization plans, short-term blueprints for improving service, aggressive cost-containment initiatives and why we’ve been pleading for sustainable, reliable sources of funding,” spokesman Jon Weinstein said in a statement. “ These issues are well documented and it’s exactly why we’re focused on solutions, which is all we’re focused on every minute of every day.”

Source: https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transportation/no-light-end-tunnel-mta-comptroller-finds

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

MTA News

Three separate homicides across city this weekend under investigation

Published

on

By

NYPD

The weekend was especially busy for homicide detectives across the city as three people were killed since Thursday night in separate murders, police said.

Police were also seeking a possible wounded person from a shooting on a Brooklyn train Saturday night.

The violence began Thursday, Nov. 14 at about 9:05 p.m. when police from the 34th Precinct responded to a 911 call of shots fire in the vicinity of Sherman Avenue and Thayer Street in the Bronx.

Upon arriving at the scene, law enforcement sources said, officers were told about a 20-year-old man who had arrived at New York Presbyterian Hospital, via private means, with gunshot wounds to the legs.

The victim, identified as Luis Dela Cruz, of 36 Arden Avenue, was subsequently pronounced deceased at the hospital. There are no arrests and the investigation remains ongoing.

On Friday, Nov. 15, at about 9:15 p.m., 17-year-old Talasia Cuffie of Vernon Boulevard in Long island City, Queens, was found stabbed in the chest multiple times along 166th Street in South Jamaica. Paramedics rushed her to Jamaica Hospital. where she was pronounced dead.

Sources said Cuffie was stabbed only hours after attending a memorial for her friend, Aamir Griffin, 14, who was shot to death on by a stray bullet 21 days earlier.

Hours later, at about 3:44 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 16, police in Brooklyn responded to a 911 call of male shot in front of the Lafayette Garden Houses, a NYCHA development. Officers found a 34-year-old man shot multiple times in the chest. EMS rushed him to Brooklyn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The victim has not yet been identified, and no arrests have been made.

Shooting aboard train

Meanwhile, cops are also investigating a reported shooting on board the Franklin Avenue Shuttle in Brooklyn Saturday evening.

Police say a group became embroiled in a dispute either aboard or on the platform of the Franklin Avenue shuttle as it sat in the station at Prospect Park and Flatbush Avenue Saturday night at about 8:40 p.m. Police were checking hospitals in the borough for possible person shot, but could not confirm that anyone was hit.

A transit worker inside a maintenance room at the station said he heard a large group of teens running from the station, but he didn’t hear the shots. Police were holding the motorman after the shooting for questioning.

The suspect was described as male black, 5’9″ with a dark hoodie.

The shuttle was shut down for the duration of the investigation as evidence collection units collected spent shells and a bullet that may have been lodged in a wall of the train.

Source https: www.amny.com

By  Todd Maisel

Continue Reading

MTA News

Advocates: MTA Board Must Get Moving On Congestion Pricing Details

Published

on

By

MTA news

In less than one year, the state-mandated Traffic Mobility Review Board can issue its nuts-and-bolts recommendations for how congestion pricing is supposed to work, what it will cost, and who will get much-desired exemptions from the toll.

Of course, there’s a few things that need to happen first — primarily Mayor de Blasio and the MTA Board have to actually appoint members to this obscure board, get it an office so it can start the work of setting those tolls and exemptions, and start holding meetings (which are supposed to be public, but might not be!).

On Friday, a coalition of 20 good government and transit advocacy groups including Reinvent Albany, the Permanent Citizens Advisory Council, the Citizens Budget Commission and the Straphangers Campaign fired the first warning shot, with a letter reminding the politicians who passed the tolling scheme earlier this year that the hard work of actually designing and then implementing congestion pricing still needs to be done before it supposed to (magically!) begin in January, 2021.

The Traffic Mobility Review Board is supposed to comprise one chairperson and five members: one appointed by Mayor de Blasio and the rest appointed by the MTA Board/Gov. Cuomo, though two members must be from the Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North service areas.

Asked if the MTA Board had held any discussions about the board and who will be appointed to it, de Blasio’s MTA Board appointee Veronica Vanterpool told Streetsblog it had not. Noting that she felt it could wait until after December’s decision on the 2020 MTA budget, Vanterpool still urged the Board to prioritize the TMRB going forward.

“All eyes are on NYC for this rollout, so we shouldn’t squander time,” Vanterpool said. “January, 2021 is around the corner.”

A spokesperson for Cuomo referred Streetsblog to the MTA, and a spokesperson for de Blasio did not respond to a request for comment on potential board appointees.

Nov. 15 was an auspicious date for the good-governance groups to send the letter, because Nov. 15, 2020 is the date when the TMRB can release its recommendations, per the congestion pricing agreement that the state legislature passed this year (observers have pointed out releasing the recommendations on Nov. 15 allowed legislators to avoid any potential consequences in the 2020 election, which is a week earlier).

If those recommendations are approved by the Triborough Bridges & Tunnel Authority, the MTA can start collecting the congestion toll fee as soon as Jan. 1, 2021, although there’s no requirement that the tolling begin that soon (clearly, there is a huge potential for delay). Although the TMRB has not yet been appointed, the MTA has at least selected a vendor to design and operate the tolling infrastructure once the fee is instituted.

With no TMRB holding meetings, there’s no way to know what congestion pricing will look like or even what the price might be. For now, thanks to state lawmakers carving out exemptions, we know that emergency vehicles, vehicles transporting disabled people and drivers passing through the congestion toll zone on the FDR Drive or West Side Highway will be exempt from the fee. In addition, CBD residents making less than $60,000 per year will get a tax credit equal to what they spend on the tolls each year, and an exception is being worked out for drivers who have to move their cars in and out of the CBD border because of alternate-side parking.

Other than that though, the public is only left to speculate. At Tuesday’s state legislative hearing on the MTA’s historic $51.5-billion 2020-2024 capital plan, MTA Chairman and CEO Pat Foye promised that before the tolls and exemptions are set, there would be pointless kvetching sessions robust public hearings with the TMRB so that MTA Board members could be properly informed.

In September, the Regional Plan Association issued a series of suggestions as to how the congestion toll could be set. The plan that seemed to do the most good, in terms of raising money and reducing congestion during peak hours, was a fee of $9.18 to enter the CBD during the morning rush and the same fee exit it during the evening peak. That charge would raise $1.06 billion and increase traffic speeds in the Manhattan core by 15.6 percent.

The TMRB’s decisions will have enormous consequences for the success of the congestion pricing program, and for the MTA’s historic capital plan. The MTA is banking on raising $1 billion per year with the congestion fee, which they can then turn into $15 billion in bonds for the agency’s capital spending. In addition to setting the tolls and exemptions, the TMRB is also supposed to review the 2020-2024 capital plan at some point, which makes actually appointing its members somewhat urgent since next year is…let’s see here…2020.

 

Source  nyc.streetsblog.org

By Dave Colon

Continue Reading

MTA News

Contract talks break down between TWU, MTA

Published

on

By

TWU, MTA

NEW YORK (WABC) — Talks between Transport Workers Union Local 100 and the MTA have broken down after both sides have been meeting for the last three days, officials say.

The transit union president claims that the MTA contract demands have “only made the already tense situation worse.”

The union released a statement Thursday evening about MTA Chairman Pat Foye.

“These two days of bargaining have actually set us back,” union president Tony Utano said. “Foye presented us with a new set of demands today that are substantially worse than the insulting package he threw across the table three months ago. Foye not only appears unwilling to negotiate in good faith, he is intentionally spoiling for a confrontation.”

No new talks are scheduled.

The main issues are wages, pension and health benefits, but it all comes amid rising tensions at the MTA and accusations of widespread overtime abuse.

On October 30, members of Transport Workers Union Local 100 rallied outside MTA headquarters, from bus drivers and subway operators to station cleaners and track inspectors. All of them, working without a contract for nearly six months.

MTA officials claimed they have been bargaining in good faith. But unionized workers from the Long Island Rail Road and Metro North are also working without contracts.

Continue Reading

Trending

TransportationVoice