Officers from the Saginaw Police Department arrested a man they believe approached students at least four times while they were on bus stops awaiting transport to school.
On Tuesday, Feb. 5, Detective Sgt. Oscar Lopez announced that police arrested a 43-year-old man and charged him with accosting a child for immoral purposes.
The man’s name is being withheld pending arraignment.
The first incident occurred around 7:10 a.m. on Jan. 11 on Madison near North Bond, when a female student and her brother were walking separately from one another when an unknown man approached and tried to grab her. She ran to her brother and the subject fled.
On Jan. 15, shortly before 7 a.m. on North Bond near Reed, police say a female student was walking when an unknown male exited from a light-colored four-door vehicle and began to chase her. The student managed to get on the bus, according to Lopez.
Moments later on South Elm near Division, four female students were waiting for the bus when they observed a male standing across the street behind a tree. The girls deemed this to be suspicious and went back to one of their homes and notified a parent, according to Lopez.
The fourth incident occurred on Jan. 25 around 8 a.m. on Mackinaw near South Mason. Two female students were waiting at a bus stop when they observed a male make a lewd gesture as he drove past in a light-colored vehicle. The females walked away and he followed them. The subject drove past them again this time exposing his genitals, according to Gomez.
“Detective Phillip Graves worked tirelessly on this case following up on any and every lead,” said Lopez said. “Assistance from the public and good old fashion police work played a large role in tracking down this individual.”
Anyone with information on any of these incidents are urged to call Detective Graves at 989-759-1761.
A New York school district is investigating noose images labeled as ‘back to school necklaces’ in classroom
A Long Island, New York, school district is investigating reports that a picture of nooses labeled “back to school necklaces” was displayed in a middle school classroom.
Arthur Mackey Jr., a pastor at Mount Sinai Baptist Church Cathedral in Roosevelt, said he received the image — which is part of a larger collage reportedly displayed in a classroom — from a teacher in the school system. He posted it on Facebook and called on the school district to take action.
“When I heard about it I said that this is outrageous,” Mackey told CNN. “The majority of students are minority students, African-American and Hispanic. For the image to be on the wall … is totally unacceptable.”
In a statement, the Roosevelt School District said it is aware of the “inappropriate conduct” and investigating. The school district said it is unable to comment further, calling the incident a “personnel matter.”
“The Board of Education has zero tolerance for the display of racially offensive images,” the district’s statement said.
CNN has not confirmed who sent the photo to Mackey, who created and put up the poster nor how long it had been on display.
“It’s probably just a joke, it probably has nothing to do with African-Americans…. but at the same time, they could still draw that connection,” community member Savitri Lekhram told CNN affiliate News12 Long Island.
But Mackey says it is a “hate crime and racial discrimination,” for which those responsible should be punished.
More than half of the middle school’s population is Hispanic or Latino; about 45 percent is black or African American, according to the New York State Education Department.
Many people in the community are employed by schools in the district, Mackey said.
The district “cannot condone racism,” he said. “We have a great school superintendent, school board president and school board and we all believe in our hearts they are going to do the right thing.”
Mackey said as soon as he began spreading the word, he received an overwhelming response from fellow community members who wanted action taken against whomever put up the poster.
“I’m just glad my kids are out of there right now,” Yvette Hudson, from Roosevelt, told News12. “I was very upset about it.”
Waterville man invents tool to help keep kids safe in the classroom
A man in Waterville has come up with a tool he says will keep kids safer in the classroom.
Ryan Bowman never thought he’d become an inventor, but he says he became one after seeing more and more school shootings.
“It really makes you as a parent nervous and you’re like. ‘I can’t be there with my kid at the school if something like this happens,’ because they’re unpredictable,” Bowman said.
He and his wife came up with the safety wedge.
He says he came up with it after seeing a woman post online about giving her nieces door stoppers to bring to school.
Knowing that wouldn’t keep an active shooter out, they designed the rubber wedges with a special design.
“It will actually fold up under itself preventing the door from being able to continuing to go and someone from barging in,” Bowman said.
Even while pulling on it, after it folded, the wedge wouldn’t budge.
Giving whoever put it there time to run, hide, or worst case scenario, fight.
The safety wedge is being manufactured in Maine. They’re now hoping through pre-orders they’ll be able to build a new mold to be able to make more than just one wedge at a time.
“Our mold we have right now is a one-cavity mold, so it can only make one at a time, we’re looking to get up to a four-cavity mold so four can be made at a time.
At $25 apiece, Bowman hopes it’s an inexpensive way to give parents peace of mind.
“My son does have one that he takes with him to school right now and just knowing that it’s there makes a big difference,” Bowman said.
A big difference he hopes nobody has to use.
If you’re interested in a safety wedge, click here.
They say they are taking pre-orders now and will be sending them out in April.
School bus involved in rollover crash near Tolleson
Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a school bus full of kids crashed and rolled on its side near Tolleson Wednesday morning.
The crash happened near Southern Avenue and El Mirage Road at about 7:30 a.m.
The school bus had six children on board who were all uninjured and released to their parents, according to Littleton Elementary School District.
The driver of the bus was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.
Sgt. Bryant Vanegas with MCSO said the crash involved one other vehicle that ran a stop sign. The driver of that car had no injuries.
Impairment and speed do not appear to be factors in the crash, Vanegas said.
31 NY airports splitting $23.6M from state for upgrades
New York Driver Jason Mendez Accused of Purposefully Running Over Family of Eight, Killing Mom
For-hire drivers are fearful of new congestion tax
Entertainment9 months ago
Entertainment6 months ago
The New York Times best-seller list
Entertainment10 months ago
Transportation Alternatives bike month sponsored by Kiwi Energy
MTA News10 months ago
MTA’s first female head of NYC subway
MTA News8 months ago
Access-a-Ride needs access to bus lanes
Business strategies8 months ago
How to Handle Negative Customer Feedback
MTA News12 months ago
The winners of МТА Genius Transit Challenge
Uncategorized1 year ago
Finding your love on the road ♥